Introduction to Canine Massage
This half-day workshop is intended to introduce you and your dog to the benefits of canine massage, perfect for those dog owners who have no massage experience.
Learn a little about what is under your dog’s skin and how canine massage can influence this. Increase your awareness by understanding how pain can impact your dog, both physically and emotionally and what you can do to avoid/reduce it.
The workshop will contain both theory and practical instruction and you will go home with several massage techniques and simple stretches that you can practice on your own dog.
The day includes:
- Qualities, applications and benefits of massage
- A brief outline of the canine skin, the circulatory, lymphatic and nervous systems and how massage affects them
- When not to massage (contraindications to massage)
- The skeletal structure of the dog
- Superficial ‘bony’ landmarks
- Muscles and how they work
- The main muscular groups
- How to recognise when your dog is in pain
- How can you help your dog avoid/reduce pain
- How to massage your dog effectively using specific techniques
Handouts will be supplied, but please bring a notepad and pen with you if you would like to take further notes. Remember to bring your dog’s bed and/or blankets with you – let’s make sure they are comfortable during the workshop.
Please advise the host if your dog needs extra space away from other dogs or people. We will do our best to ensure that the room layout is organised to accommodate everyone.
Refreshments – tea, coffee, biscuits – will be provided. Please advise the host if you require non-dairy milk.
£50.00 Handler+dog£40.00 Handler-only** Early bird discounts apply **
Workshop Dates and Venues:
Dates and venues for 2019 to be released soon. Watch this space!
The Small Print: Minimum numbers required for the workshop to take place. Maximum of 8 dogs+handlers per workshop, plus an additional 4 handler-only spaces. Handlers must ensure that their dogs are kept under control throughout the workshop.